CCleaner hasn’t seen many major revisions since Piriform launched it in 2004, so when you do see a major update, you can be assured that it’s going to come with impressive new tools. CCleaner 3 doesn’t disappoint on that front, introducing two major new features that make it worth the upgrade. CCleaner cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. Allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.
If you’re familiar with previous versions of the program, though, you’ll be hard-pressed to find any differences between older CCleaners and the new one. Additional minor changes include a new native installer for 64-bit computers, and environment variables have been added for SystemDirectory, SystemDirectory32, and SystemDirectory64. Other changes in version 3 include improvements to the internal scanning tech that powers CCleaner, and the interface received some minor tweaks to make icons more visible.
Version 3 supports more Windows programs than before, including added support for Microsoft Silverlight Isolated Storage, AVG 2011, Audacity, LogMeIn Hamachi, BitTorrent, and Windows Game Explorer. Pre-existing support has been improved for Google Chrome, Internet Explorer 9 beta, and the torrent managing client Vuze.
CCleaner was designed from the ground to be safe and secure to use. It has multiple levels of checks in place to ensure that it cannot delete any useful information or documents you may still need. We also certify that it contains no Spyware or Adware. For users who are new to the program, in addition to browser tracks cleaning it will clean tracks from other programs, empty your recycle bin, delete temporary files, and clean your Registry, quickly scanning for invalid entries before removing them. CCleaner will also back up your Registry before you hit delete, in case it accidentally removes a crucial component. There’s also a basic, somewhat rudimentary uninstaller for removing any program on your machine. What Registry entries it doesn’t catch, the main Registry checker will, but it’s a two-step process that dedicated uninstallers handle nicely on their own.
CCleaner 3 features :
- Internet Explorer : Temporary files, URL history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat.
- Firefox : Temporary files, URL history, cookies, download history.
- Opera : Temporary files, URL history, cookies.
- Windows : Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.
- Registry cleaner : Advanced features to remove unused and old entries, including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more… also comes with a comprehensive backup feature.
- Third-party applications : Removes temp files and recent file lists (MRUs) from many apps including Media Player, eMule, Kazaa, Google Toolbar, Netscape, MS Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and many more…
- 100% Spyware FREE : This software does NOT contain any Spyware, Adware or Viruses.
CCleaner 3 appeared to be marginally faster than previous versions. This is probably system dependent, so users with older computers could likely see significantly faster scan and cleaning times than in previous versions. Problems with CCleaner are minor at best, and it remains a highly-recommended, must-have weapon against system slowdowns, tracking cookies, and the multitudinous debris that can clutter your computer.